You might want to pour a glass of wine for this one... I certainly did the night I decided to join a certain online dating website that I call "toadorprince.com". What drove me to do so, you might ask? Well I am a professional woman that has had a handful of relationships, dates, romantic encounters, and meet 'n greets -- but is still looking for that one special guy for me. And as everyone says "dating in LA is tough!" There is some merit to that statement. What I'm really saying is: I hadn't met "him" yet and I was willing to put myself out there in other ways to see if "he" was out there in the paradigm of online dating. I chose a site more geared to relationships, but as you will read in my upcoming blogs, that didn't ensure I wouldn't meet the toads that just wanted to play on the lily pad for one night only.
What kept me sane during this science experiment was the time I had with girlfriends to download and analyze each date and potential prince. Apparently my stories became quite entertaining and people have been pinging me daily to find out the latest on the current suitor/s of the week. Well those stories have stuck with me and I figure they are too good not to share. And hell, its much easier to update everyone at once isn't it? Enjoy!
Toad #1 - one week in on toadorprince.com. Nickname: "Too Short". Lessons Learned: 1) don't waste 2 hours of cell phone minutes to talk to someone you've never met in person and 2) if you're thinking about the number of minutes left in your parking meter, you're probably not interested.
I got too excited about this one probably because he was the first one that didn't have a spelling error in his profile and he seemed "good on paper". Not to mention his answers in our Q&A exchanges were relatively thoughtful. But I had some concerns -- namely, would his lack of height really be an issue? Could I invest in a new shoe wardrobe full of only flats? As you may guess, upon meeting, his height was in fact an issue... apparently these toads like to round UP their height on paper! He was screwed from the moment we sat down to the table. And why did I accept a dinner date? Had my online dating consultant friends (ie those that had been on this site before and talked me into this mess) not warned me properly?! Why didn't I listen? Its either after work drinks or coffee.
We had clearly built each other up a lot in our heads based on our long phone call prior to meeting. I don't recommend this. You fill in the holes with what you hope to see - and will likely only be disappointed. A short call, fine. But keep it brief. As soon as he walked in, I'm pretty sure if there had been an excitement meter projected below me on the tv screen, it would have dramatically dropped from 10 to 2. Poor guy. He didn't stand a chance. I was in only my one inch heels and I still was slightly taller. Ok you're not nearly as tall as you said you were. So yes, please continue to take too long to decide what fish to order --- and I'll sit and count how many minutes are left on my parking meter. Awesome.
He followed up after our date and was quite persistent. I considered going out again because I "should give him another chance". But I realized that no matter what, he was not going to be any taller, and instead I would rather use my energy on other matches. Don't judge - we all have our "things" that are turn-offs or chemistry killers. That is one of mine.
Next!
No comments:
Post a Comment